True! You should shock your pool at least once a week.
WHY YOU ASK? Your pool needs to be shocked on a regular basis to maintain proper sanitizer levels. But, shocking your pool also kills chloramines. Chloramines are created when chlorine bonds to organic matter like dead skin, body oils, and leaves. The chlorine is trapped in the bond and can’t do its job effectively. Chloramines are responsible for the gases that create “chlorine pool smell” and can irritate your eyes, skin, and lungs. They can even cause or aggravate respiratory problems, so getting rid of them is an essential part to keeping your pool, and the people who use it, healthy.
AND WHAT IS THE BEST PRODUCT TO USE?
The active ingredient in an effective shock is Calcium Hypochlorite. Calcium Hypochlorite has been used to sanitize water since the middle of the 19th century.
Be aware when purchasing pool shock as some products only contain Sodium Dichloro-S-Triazinetrione, which is a granular chlorine, not an effective pool shock.
Right now we are having our Stock Up & Save Super Sale and all chemicals are 20% off and 1lb. bags of TurboShock® (which is 78% Calcium Hypochlorite) are buy 3 get 1 FREE!